The History of The Teal Club

In 1859 market hunters moved into the Suisun Marsh to supply San Francisco with waterfowl. The "Fathers of the Suisun," Jim Payne and Seth Beckwith, had the best leases on west-side marshes, which later became California's original duck clubs:  The Teal Club, the Cordelia, the Ibis, and the Tule Belle.  

The founders of The Teal Club started hunting together in the Suisun Marsh with Jim Payne in the 1870s.  In 1882, they bought his lease to the best ponds in the Suisun Marsh and hired Jim Payne as their full time guide.  The Teal Club's founders were Captain Richard Floyd (pictured), W.P. Fuller, William Hopkins, Frank Smith, John Taylor, Albert Titcomb, State Senator W.W. Traylor, and W.F. Whittier.  They were prominent early citizens of San Francisco with entrepreneurs, scientists, financiers, lawyers, and politicians represented. 

The Teal Club's 140 year long tradition of wetland conservation, waterfowl hunting, fine dining, fine wine, traditional cocktails, and camaraderie among its members continues to this day.

Newspaper Clippings from the Early Days of The Teal Club:


-Oakland Tribune, October 9, 1910

-San Francisco Chronicle, October 19, 1895

 -The San Francisco Call, September 15, 1893

-San Francisco Chronicle, February 12, 1884

-San Francisco Chronicle, February 4, 1883

-San Francisco Chronicle, November 25, 1882

-The Record-Union, October 10, 1882

-The Record-Union, October 10, 1882


-San Francisco Chronicle, September 29, 1907

-Breeder and Sportsman, January 13, 1883

-Breeder and Sportsman, January 13, 1883